You hear it every year and this year is no different: keep fire prevention and fire safety in mind regarding your Christmas tree! It’s the “most wonderful time of the year,” so don’t let it turn into a disaster for your family by ignoring some simple Christmas tree safety rules – especially when it comes to fire prevention.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) says every year an average of 210 fires are caused by Christmas trees. Don’t let your holiday tradition become a NFPA statistic.
- It’s a great idea to test your smoke alarms or fire alarm systems the day you decide to put up your Christmas tree. (Make that part of your family’s “tradition”!)
- If you have an artificial tree, make sure the label indicates fire retardant certification.
- When buying a fresh tree, make sure the needles are green and do not fall off when touched.
- Keep the tree well away from any heat source such as a fireplace or radiator.
- Keep a fresh tree well watered.
- Never, ever use candles to decorate on or near the Christmas tree.
- Turn off tree lights before going to bed or when leaving the house.
We know you have probably heard all of these tips year after year. But when it comes to the safety of your home and family, what’s a little repetition?
We at ABEL Building Systems wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!